With Autumn just around the corner, it’s time for some warm comfort food, paleo style! This tasty recipe from Paleo Comfort Foods makes use of coconut and almond flour instead of wheat flour to remove the major allergens. The rest is paleo history! Enjoy!
1/4 cup (60 mL) bacon grease
3 tbs. coconut flour
3 tbs. almond flour
2 cups onions- chopped
2 cups celery- chopped
2 cups green pepper- chopped
3 cloves garlic- minced
1 quart (1 L) can tomatoes
2 cups (500 mL) seafood or chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1/2 pound (225 g)lump crab meat-picked over for shells
1 pound (450 g) shrimp
1/2 pound (225 g) andouille sausage- sliced
1 tbs. file powder
Add Tabasco to taste
1. To make roux, heat bacon grease over medium high heat and whisk in coconut/almond flour. Stir continuously until roux has a dark brown color (think dark peanut butter).
2. Add onions, celery, peppers and garlic and saute until onions are translucent and celery somewhat soft.
3. Add tomatoes, stock and bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
4. Stir in the crab meat, andouille and shrimp, cooking until shrimp are cooked through.
5. Remove from heat and stir in file powder.
6. Serve with cauliflower rice or all by its lonesome.